Friday, March 27, 2009

Fresh Cranberry Orange Tart Recipe



















This blog will be for simple recipes that I come up with that are slightly outside the norm. My daughter had friends over one night and she asked what was for dinner. I told her it was "odd but tasty" and it became the joke of the evening. Next time her friends were over for dinner they asked if I was serving "odd but tasty" and the name stuck.

I wanted pie tonight but something tart, not sweet so I came up with this recipe.

Take a prepared unbaked pie crust or make one if you are feeling ambitious and place it in a pie pan. I used a quiche pan.

Put in the unbaked pie crust

1 cup chopped pecans
1 bag of fresh cranberries
1 orange that you candied.

To candy an orange
Wash the orange and cut the ends off. Quarter the remainder and slice it thin. Put the orange in a sauce pan (peel and fruit are used) with 1 1/2 cups of sugar and a 1 1/2 cups of water. Simmer until the orange becomes somewhat translucent. Pour the candied oranges slices and the sugar water you cooked them in over the cranberries in the pie crust. You want to candy the orange because the pith will be bitter if it's not cooked in the syrup.

Bake at 350 until the crust is brown and the cranberries have popped.

The pie will be tart; if you like a sweeter variety increase the amount of the sugar water syrup mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for requiring word verification but the the spam comments are out of control.