Friday, April 10, 2009

Garlic Mashed Potatoes Pizza with Feta Cheese Recipe

I had a beautifully browned version of this pizza and a marauding teenager grabbed mine when I went for my camera. Next time I make it I'll replace the photograph.

Ingredients
potatoes
garlic
olive oil
butter
sea salt
pepper
cream or milk
Parmesan cheese
onion
green pepper
pizza dough
tomatoes
feta cheese

Garlic mashed potatoes

Potatoes—put the potatoes in a pot with a steamer insert (I use a pasta pot) and cook until fork tender—I like steaming them since sometimes they become too moist when boiled

While the potatoes are cooking, roast the garlic. To roast garlic slice the top portion off a head of garlic and remove some of the outer papery skin (leave the inner segments alone). Drizzle olive oil on top and season with sea salt. Wrap the garlic head in foil and bake at 375F for about 30 minutes. Be careful opening the foil since there is trapped steam. The individual cloves of garlic can be easily removed from the skin for use or eating; I usually just squeeze them out if they don't need to be pretty.

While everything else is cooking saute chopped onion and green pepper (these will be used in the pizza, they don't go in the mashed potatoes).

Put the potatoes and garlic in a large bowl and add the following ingredients to taste. I use a hand masher, not an electric mixer since the mixer tends to make mashed potatoes gummy. It's difficult to say how much liquid to add since some potatoes are drier than others. If you're making the potatoes to eat immediately with a meal; warm your butter and cream so they don't cool the potatoes.

cooked potatoes
roasted garlic - fork mash before adding to prevent having large chunks of garlic
butter
sea salt
pepper
cream or milk
Parmesan cheese

To assemble the pizza

Use your favorite pizza dough or flour tortillas work.
Spread the mashed potatoes like you would sauce.
Add the sauteed onions and green pepper
Tomatoes chopped or sliced, I used sun dried since it was what I had on hand

Sprinkle the pizza with Parmesan cheese and crumbled feta cheese.

Bake at 400 until nicely browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I apologize for requiring word verification but the the spam comments are out of control.